Monday, March 26, 2012

March Lightplay {Utah Photography}

One of my goals this year is to play more with lighting and so I gave myself the assignment of doing a different lighting project every month. I am reading a really fun book The Hot Shoe Diaries by Joe McNally and sometimes I challenge myself to recreate something he has done but with my own twist, 'cause y'know, nobody likes a copycat. :)

The above photo was inspired by one of Joe's where he is shooting through a rainy window and while I want to play with that idea too as I was reading the section an image through blinds immediately popped into my head. Luckily I have kids who are always willing to help (or willing to be bribed). This is my daughter and we are just in my front room and I have a Nikon SB800 flash outside on a lightstand in Remote mode and I am using my on Camera flash in Commander mode to trigger it through my open front door. We took a bunch but I especially loved the repeating stripe elements in this one as well as the shadow on the wall and the downturned face that I feel makes your eyes travel through the photo instead of getting stuck on the subject's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment